Monday, February 11, 2008

What is the earliest you can take a pregnancy test?

The first time you miss a period, you should go and take a pregnancy test.
Doctors say it won't be reliable for 7-14 days.

Is there still a chance you could be pregnant if the test was negative?
If a Pregnancy Test was Negative

Yes, if your period still hasn't started, then test again in a week. Perhaps your pregnancy hormones are not strong enough to show up on the test.

Here is more input:

· YES. It is known that a home test is more accurate in telling you you are pregnant then telling you you aren't. If a pregnancy test says you are pregnant then it's 99.9% accurate, but if it tells you you aren't its only 50%. Some bleeding during pregnancy is not uncommon, "break-through bleeding, implantation bleeding, irritated cervix" to name a few ... but there are also a few cases where some women, and this is very few, whose body went through all the stages of pregnancy formed a sac and placenta but no embryo. Although that is very unlikely it is not impossible. Most likely you are pregnant though, so GOOD LUCK next week and post back the news if you can!

· Yes, you can still be pregnant when a HPT comes out negative. I have had it happen to me.

· My hormones aren't very strong. Last year, I knew I was pregnant because I hadn't had my period for two months. I took the test and it came out negative. I went to the doctor, and they made me take a pregnancy test, and it came out negative and I told them to please take my blood. I came home and wait for few hours then I called there and the blood test came positive.

· It's almost 100% accurate if the pregnancy test shows positive, and it's barely 50% if the test shows negative. You can still be pregnant if the test comes out negative. I do not trust the home pregnancy if it comes out positive or negative because it could be a false positive.

· I think home pregnancy tests are pretty accurate if you take them after you've missed your period. If you haven't missed a period yet, but feel like you may be pregnant, it's too soon to take a home test. I've taken some home tests in the past and they've all been 100% accurate, but I've also heard of them being inaccurate. I've heard exactly what one poster mentioned above: if they say positive, they're very accurate, but it's possible to get a false negative if hCG isn't present in the body yet. However, with some exceptions, most people find home pregnancy tests to be just what they are advertised to be: 99% accurate if taken after a missed period.

· It has been my experience that you can be pregnant if your pregnancy test comes out negative. I have a four year old son and when I was pregnant with him (unknown to me at the time). I took a pregnancy test in June, negative. Another one in July, negative. One in August, came back negative. I took one in September, negative. Finally I took another one in October and it came out to be positive. The very first test I took was at a doctors office. I got false positives up until I was five and a half months pregnant.

· Yes, you can still be preggie and get a BFN. I'm five weeks pregnant and I got 2 negatives before I finally got my BFP!

Is a blood test for pregnancy more accurate than a urine test?
Yes, urine tests test for hCG levels in women and A LOT of women have low hCG levels so the tests come out negative even though they are positive.

No comments: